Dosanseowon, located in Togye-ri, Dosan-myeon, Andong-si, Gyoungbuk, was built to admire and memory the scholarship and virtue of Toegye Leehwang (Seonjo 7). Its buildings are decorated neatly and simply, which properly reflects his attitude and personality as a scholar.
In the structural viewpoint, Dosanseowon divided into Dosanseodang and Dosanseowon. Dosanseodang is the place he, by himself, taught his followers, whereas Dosanseodang was built after his death.
Dosanseodang was built in 1561 (Myeongjong 16) and the oldest builing in it. It is said to be designed by him and the purpose was to cultivate his followers and pursue studies after he retired into country. Nongunjeongsa used for a boarding house and Hagojiksa used for attached facility were built together simultaneously.
Dosanseowon was completed in 1576, which is 6 years after his death. In the year of 1570 when he passed away, it was decided to place his mortuary tablet in Sangdeoksa (Treasury No. 211). After 2 years, by suggestion of local Confucians a Sadang was constructed to protect the mortuary tablet, then Jeongyodang (Treasury No. 210) and Dong, Seojae was constructed to be completed as a whole building. As granted tablet written by Han-Seokbong, it, as a Saaekseowon, became the head place of Confucianism in Youngnam in 1575 (Seonjo 8). Sarim placed Sir. Wolcheon Jomok in the place in 1615 (Gwanghaegun 7).
Dosanseowon is consist of shrine space and attached building centering main educational facility on it. The whole educational facility is arranged with bisymmetry centering Jindomun which is a gate and Jeongyodang situated in the middle on it. Gwangmyeongsil divided into west and east is a stack room, which we can consider as a library of today. Dong, Seojae are facilities where Yusaengs dwell and study. We call the eastern building "Bakyakjae" and the western building "Honguijae", which are facing each other. Jeongyodang located in the center consists with a lecture room and a principal room, and Jangpangak keeping tablets is at the back of Dongjae.
Enshrine space located on the highest point of dewon includes Jeonsacheong where prepare the various religious service and Danddeoksa where mortuary tablet is placed. Attached buildings include Sanggojiksa controlling and maintaining the Seowon, which is located at the back of Honguijae.
Okjingak is at the left side of Seowon's gate where his mementos are displayed.
Centering on this Seowon, 19 Pil (324.945m2) of woodland, paddies and dry fields were designated as a Historical place No. 170 to become sanctuary of Korean spiritual hometown of Confucianism in 1969. In 1977, Dosanseowon Control office was established and maintenance regulations were enacted and promulgated and up to now.